DURHAM – The 2021 LPGA campaign wrapped up recently, with former Duke women’s golfers turning in stellar seasons on the tour. The Blue Devils featured Celine Boutier, Leona Maguire, Yu Liu, Brittany Lang, Lindy Duncan and Ana Belac on the professional circuit this past year.
The six Blue Devils combined to earn $2,597,840 on the 2021 tour. Boutier led the way with $1,023,784 earnings, which ranked No. 15 on the LPGA Tour money list. Maguire was No. 19 on the ledger with $885,141, while Liu ($333,885), Lang ($133,887), Belac ($116,832) and Duncan ($104,311) all ranked in the top 111 of the list.
In looking at the LPGA stats from 2021, numerous Blue Devils ranked in the top 40 of the rankings –
• Maguire ranked 31st in driving accuracy with a 77.6 percentage.
• Belac averaged a 263.296 off the tee to rank 37th.
• In greens in regulation, Boutier ranked 22nd (74.2%) and Maguire ranked 23rd (74.1%).
• Maguire ranked 11th in putts per green in regulation (1.757), while Boutier ranked 30th (1.784)
• Maguire was 21st in putting average (29.60).
• In sand saves, Liu ranked tied for 14th with a 53.57 percentage, while Duncan was 25th (50.94%), Maguire was 26th (50.69%) and Boutier was 33rd (49.33%).
• Maguire was 13th in scoring average (69.985) and Boutier was 18th (70.127).
• In rounds under par, Maguire featured a 63.24 percentage to rank 18th and Boutier was 19th with a 62.03 percentage.
• Boutier had six top-10 finishes to rank tied for 13th and Maguire’s five was tied for 19th.
• With 297 birdies, Boutier ranked tied for eighth and Maguire was tied for 24th with 270.
• Boutier ranked tied for seventh with 10 eagles and Maguire ranked tied for 17th with eight.
• In rounds in the 60s, Boutier had 33 to rank tied for eighth, Maguire ranked tied for 28th (26) and Liu was tied for 31st (25).
• Maguire ranked tied for 11th in par-3 scoring average (2.97) and Duncan ranked tied for 35th (3.00).
• For par-4 scoring average, Boutier was tied for 11th (3.99) and Maguire was tied for 28th (4.02)
• Maguire was third in par-5 scoring average (4.53), Boutier was tied for 20th (4.63) and Liu was tied for 40th (4.68).
Both Boutier and Maguire closed the season strong at the CME Group Tour Championship. The pair combined to shoot 32-under-par, while Boutier placed tied for third and Maguire finished tied for 12th.
Celine Boutier (2016 Duke Graduate)
On the year, Boutier collected six top-10 finishes to go along with a victory at the ShopRite LPGA Classic presented by Acer. Boutier carded back-to-back rounds of 65 in the season finale to lead by four strokes through 36 holes at the CME Group Tour Championship. She went on to earn a paycheck of $268,657 with a tied for third place ledger. Boutier also added 11 top-20 finishes. She helped lead Europe to a 15-13 victory over the United States at the Solheim Cup and is now 5-1-1 all-time in two Solheim Cup appearances.
Leona Maguire (2018 Duke Graduate)
With five top-5 finishes and 11 top-20 placements, Maguire went on to finish 19th on the LPGA money list. She had a stretch where she finished in the top-20 in seven straight events, while turning in a season-best second-place ledger at the Meijer LPGA Classic for Simply Give to earn a paycheck of $213,467. Maguire carded six straight rounds in the 60s during the season as well. She helped lead Europe to a 15-13 victory over the United States in the Solheim Cup. Maguire was the undisputed Woman of the Match for the Solheim Cup earning 4.5 points, becoming the first rookie in history to collect 4.5 points.
Yu Liu (2014 All-American)
Lui posted nine top-20 finishes on the season and went on to place 58th on the LPGA money list. She turned in a season-best tied for 11th placement at the ISPS Handa World Invitational presented by Modest! Golf Management. Liu totaled 25 rounds in the 60s, including four consecutive in the LOTTE Championship to finish tied for 17th.
Brittany Lang (2004 and 2005 All-American)
In 18 events, Lang turned in three top-40 finishes as she went on to earn $133,887. She posted back-to-back top-12 placements during the season at The Amundi Evian Championship and the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational. She carded eight straight rounds in the 60s during those two events, including a 16-under score at the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational as she finished 10th.
Ana Belac (2020 Duke Graduate)
In her first year on the LPGA Tour, Belac posted one top-5 finish at the Volunteers of America Classic, along with a tied for 16th placement at the Pure Silk Championship. She collected four straight rounds in the 60s at the Volunteers of America Classic, as well as a season-best 12-under score.
Lindy Duncan (2013 Duke Graduate)
Duncan competed in 19 events in 2021 and posted a season-best tied for 29th finish with rounds of 68, 65, 71 and 71 for a 13-under score. She collected nine top-50 finishes on the year.